2012 Job Announcement - Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments
School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Faculty Expansion Initiative
The School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences is pleased to invite applications for faculty openings at all levels. Recruitment for a bold faculty expansion initiative that cuts across the School's interdisciplinary academic departments will focus on the emerging domain of Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments broadly construed, and candidates with interest and demonstrated expertise in relevant disciplines are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates for all levels, including tenure-track Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and full Professor with tenure, are needed in areas that support conceptualizing, designing and building immersive learning environments populated with cognitively intelligent agents that support a new generation of technologically-mediated learning in a variety of specific disciplinary content areas. Please note some full Professor positions may be considered for Department Head. We encourage candidates who can offer the relevant expertise identified below.
- Visual arts with substantial experience in 3D animation, new visual technologies, and/or visual dimensions of game design
- Music theory and composition as it relates to music cognition, music and cultural studies, impacts and directions in music technology and 21st century music
- Traditional musicianship, as well as experience in world music or improvisational practice.
- Cognitive Neuroscience
- Cognitive Psychology
- Cognitive Robotics
- Computational Linguistics
- Semantic Science and Technology with expertise in the development and study of ontologies and semantics from cognitive science perspective
COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA
- Writing for video games, virtual worlds, and associated new media
- Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) with emphasis on mobile/ubiquitous computing, social computing, user-experience, or user-centered design.
- New/Digital Mediawith an emphasis on digital or new media theory, cultural impacts of new media; social media; mass media (film and television); media globalization; and discourse studies.
- Mandarin Language and Culture with demonstrated interest in computer-assisted language instruction
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY STUDIES
- Interdisciplinary expertise in Design and Innovation
- Community Informatics and/or GIS
- Impacts of New Media on environmental justice and global health access
Founded in 1824, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is the nation's oldest technological university. Institute programs serve undergraduates, graduate students, and working professionals around the world. Nearly 27 percent of undergraduate students this year are from areas outside of the Northeast. First-year students hail from 42 states, in addition to the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 14 foreign countries.
Rensselaer offers more than 145 programs at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. Students are encouraged to work in interdisciplinary programs that allow them to combine scholarly work from several departments or schools. The university provides rigorous, engaging, interactive learning environments and campus-wide opportunities for leadership, collaboration, and creativity.
We welcome candidates who will bring diverse intellectual, geographical, gender, and ethnic perspectives to Rensselaer's work and campus communities.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employee
Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
Dean's Office: School of Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences
Search: Immersive Intelligent Learning Environments
Attn: Kimberley Osburn
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street
Troy, NY 12180